Our home is set in the conservation area of a traditional Dorset village. The house is built in natural local stone under clay tiled roof and set in an old natural stone walled garden. We offer warm hospitality B & B accommodation with three guest rooms. We aim to meet the needs of all our guests, but there are some features, which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. All our guest bedrooms are on the first floor and only accessible by steps and staircases and are therefore not suitable for wheelchair access. The Alders is non smoking throughout.
- We are located on the quiet main village road close to the Manor House and Church.
- There is no village shop but the delightful town of Sherborne only lies about 3 miles away with a full selection of shops and banking facilities.
- The nearest railway station is Sherborne which is on the main line from London Waterloo to Exeter.
- Taxis are available at the Sherborne station and if required we are happy to book one for you in advance.
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate any dogs or cats belonging to guests.
- Our information folder and menus can be provided in large print if required.
- Our website, www.thealdersbb.com, provides pictures and further information about our house, guest accommodation and the village and information.
- You can contact us by telephone, email or post. Please see the Contact Information section for complete details.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- We request our guests to arrive between 4.00pm and 6.30pm so that we can welcome you on your arrival.
- Earlier or later arrivals should be confirmed with us by prior arrangements.
- On arrival you will drive down a tree lined tarmac slope from the road, to our gravelled surface guest parking area with three designated guest spaces. The car park area has a small edge kerb.
- From the guest parking area it is a short level walk across tarmac and gravelled courtyard to our front entrance porch. There are two steps into the porch and one on the front entrance door.
- The car park, courtyard and guest access doorway are all lit on dark evenings and early period of the night.
- We offer assistance with luggage.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
- Entrance is through main house front door into large two storey terracotta tiled hallway with staircase to first floor.
- Guests are invited into terracotta tiled breakfast room to be welcomed and registered.
- Guests are escorted to their rooms and facilities explained.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors, etc
- An open timber staircase rises to the first floor, where the guest bedrooms are situated, it has 12 risers of 195mm, a clear width of 950mm and the treads are finished with brass leading edge with contrasting carpet finish. There is a vertical balustrade and handrail support to one side.
- The first floor carpeted landings and corridors leading to the bedrooms have a minimum width of 1300mm.
- Due to varying floor levels in the house at first floor level there are some shallow double steps up and down on the landing and corridor leading to guest bedrooms.
- Guests have their own direct external door access from the first floor and their room key tabs have a key to this door enabling guests to come and go from the house freely. This external door has a single step down to a landing leading to a flight of 5 x 180mm steps with natural stone handrails to both sides down to the garden orchard area. From there is further flight of 7 x 220mm steps with handrail to one side back down to the entrance courtyard.
- On the first floor landing, there is a small fridge for guests' use containing fresh milk and bottled tap water. In the corridor there are also tourist information leaflets and books, local maps and history books.
Public Areas - Sitting Room, Lounges, Lobbies, etc
- From the main hallway there are two steps down through arched opening to carpeted guest sitting room. Guests are welcome to use the sitting room at any time.
- There is a large open brick inglenook fireplace with bread oven to one side. Fireplace has Jotul wood burner which can burn as open fire or closed wood burner. Fire is lit on cold evenings or as requested.
- The sitting room has two sofas, and an individual armchair. This room has a large digital television.
- Wi-fi access is available for those who wish to connect to the Internet.
- Breakfast is served in the terracotta floored breakfast room on communal large central pine table.
- From the breakfast room two steps lead up to a terracotta tiled kitchen with oak beams and pine kitchen units, from where breakfast is freshly cooked on an Aga and served to guests.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- All three bedrooms are on the first floor and are carpeted.
- All bedroom and ensuite doors are standard 760mm wide x 1980mm high.
- There are en suite facilities in all the rooms consisting of a bath and/or shower, WC and wash basin.
- Tea and coffee and bottled water facilities are provided.
- All rooms have remote-controlled freeview digital flatscreen colour televisions.
- We also provide a hairdryer, blankets and a hot water bottle in each room.
- Our beds are made with duvets. We supply synthetic pillows and duvets only.
- We are happy to provide sheets and blankets if preferred. Please specify, before your arrival, if required.
- There is a wardrobe, a dressing table and one or two chairs in each room.
- There is a guest information folder in each bedroom, which contains details of the residence.
- Bedroom 1 is at the end of the landing after turning right at the top of the stairs.
- This room has a 5ft¯ double bed with access from both side.
- The room has 1 radiator that is thermostatically controlled.
- The en suite room has a bath with attached shower spray, toilet and hand basin. The floor is tiled and there is a high level electric heater.
- Bedroom 2 is to the right at the top of the stairs.
- This room can either provide two 3ft single beds or one 6ft super king-size bed.
- The room has 1 radiator that is thermostatically controlled.
- The en suite room has a bath with attached shower spray, toilet and hand basin. The floor is tiled and has 1 radiator that is thermostatically controlled.
- Bedroom 3 is to the left at the top of the stairs.
- This room has one 4ft 6" double bed.
- The room has 2 radiators that are thermostatically controlled.
- The en suite room which has a step in shower cubicle, toilet & hand basin. The floor is tiled and there is a high level electric heater.
Grounds & Gardens
- Guests are welcome to relax and wander in the garden at all times.
- The Alders is set within an old natural stone walled garden in grounds of approx 3/4 acre in total.
- The upper part of the garden is laid to natural slope and contains our small orchard and guest patio area with table and chairs. Access is across a sloping grassed area with recessed stepping stone footpath.
- To the rear of the house there is a Japanese style garden with raised fish pond. There are various random steps to this area, with arched gateway openings through walled garden boundary wall. At present there are some low level electrical agricultural wiring in the gateways, live at night, to deter otters from raiding the fish pond.
- The western side of the garden is bounded by the village stream which is a very natural wildlife area.
- The first floor landing is equipped with a smoke detector. There is a powder fire extinguisher and a fire blanket adjacent to the kitchen.
- In the event of a fire, we will ring a bell. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this. A bell is provided in the central corridor to call for assistance.
- The building can be evacuated through the first floor guest access door, the rear French doors from the breakfast room, or through the front door via the main stair hallway. The first floor escape route is signed with approved exit signs.
- We do not permit smoking in the house but you may smoke in our garden away from the windows.
- We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
- Mobile phone reception at the house is variable.
- Address: The Alders, Sandford Orcas, Sherborne, Dorset DT9 4SB
- Telephone: 01963 220666
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: www.thealdersbb.com
- Hours of Operation: We are open all year round but obviously need to take occasional breaks to ensure that we are fresh to give our guests the good and friendly service we aim to achieve.
- Our guest facilities will be upgraded as and when necessary as part of our continual policy of improvement.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 01963 220666 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: April 2015